...

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sorcerer's Apprentice Movie Review

Magic has always been a big fantasy to me. I loved Harry Potter, The Lord of the Rings, Twilight Saga, and many others that has magic wands, book of spells, potions, etc.



Balthazar Blake is a master sorcerer in modern day Manhattan trying to defend the city from his arch-nemesis, Maxim Horvath.Balthazar can't do it alone, so he recruits Dave Stutler, a seemingly average guy who demonstrates hidden potential, as his reluctant protege. The sorcerer gives his unwilling accomplice a crash course in the art and science of magic., and together, these unlikely partners work to stop the forces of darkness. It'll take all the courage Dave can muster to survive his training, save the city and get the girl as he becomes The Sorcerer's Apprentice.






Story
. I like the way the story is combined ancient and modern day Manhattan. It reaches out to contemporary audience which makes it magical. The battle between good and evil is always there, plus a few magic tricks and a mixture of geekiness! I just didn't feel the "fight-plasma-scene" at the end. I was expecting a little something more.

Actors. You can never go wrong with Nicholas Cage (Balthazar), flat hair or not. He's a manic actor that brings out his character in every movie he's in. He's well loved by almost everybody. Jay Baruchel (Dave) is as nerd as I think he should be in the movie. He played the average teenage boy that is expected of him. Now, watching Alfred Molina (Horvath) on screen makes me think that I'm watching SpiderMan. Haha! He's got the evilness in his character in every movie he's in.

Visuals. CGI is great. I think modern magic is the new thing. The plasma volt though is an easy power, a sorcerer can pull. ( I think) I was expecting a little bit more on Dace's encounter with Morgana, but pulling up a little physics there was good enought to justify the modern magic.

It's a good family movie. The magic is exciting and moral value on relationship is a good quality piece of worth.

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails